Patients entrust their personal health information to healthcare providers and it’s imperative that this information is protected and kept confidential. A HIPAA-compliant answering service like MedXCom plays a crucial role in safeguarding patients’ health information and ensuring HIPAA compliance for healthcare providers.
What is HIPAA?
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) was established to safeguard the privacy and security of individuals’ Protected Health Information (PHI). The Act requires all healthcare providers and covered entities to follow strict guidelines and standards when it comes to collecting, storing, and sharing health information. HIPAA compliance helps ensure that PHI remains confidential and always protected.
Benefits of a HIPAA Compliant Answering Service
24/7 Availability: A HIPAA-compliant medical answering service offers around-the-clock support, providing peace of mind for both patients and healthcare providers.
- Secure Communications: A HIPAA compliant medical answering service ensures that all calls, texts, and messages are secure and confidential, thereby mitigating risk.
- Increased Productivity: A HIPAA compliant medical answering service allows healthcare providers to focus on providing care, while their calls are managed by trained professionals.
- Confidentiality: HIPAA regulations require that all PHI is kept confidential and secure and can only be shared with authorized individuals.
- Accessibility: HIPAA regulations require that individuals have access to their PHI, and that it can be shared with other healthcare providers as necessary.
- Accuracy: HIPAA regulations require that PHI is accurate and up-to-date, and that errors are corrected promptly.
Benefits of a HIPAA Compliant Answering Service
- 24/7 Availability: A HIPAA-compliant medical answering service offers around-the-clock support, providing peace of mind for both patients and healthcare providers.
- Secure Communications: A HIPAA-compliant medical answering service ensures that all calls, texts, and messages are secure and confidential, thereby mitigating risk.
- Increased Productivity: A HIPAA-compliant phone answering service allows healthcare providers to focus on providing care, while their calls are managed by trained professionals.
Introducing MedXCom's HIPAA Compliant Answering Service
A HIPAA-compliant automated medical answering service, MedXCom is an affordable, dependable, feature-rich platform handling millions of calls per year from thousands of healthcare providers nationwide. Ten+ years of experience has helped us refine our system and we keep on improving it with feedback from our users.
Urgent Calls – For urgent calls, MedXCom first confirms the patient’s callback number and has them state their name and reason for their call. The provider is then contacted according to their self-managed flexible call rules:
- Phone Call: While the patient waits on hold, the provider hears their recorded message before accepting or declining the call.
- Text Notification: an SMS is sent to the provider alerting them of an urgent call, which they can retrieve in the app via recorded message or voice-to-text transcription.
- Live Operator (optional add-on): A US-based live agent will triage the call based on the provider’s instructions.
- Call Callbacks – Callbacks made through the system display your public practice phone number, so a provider’s personal Caller ID is protected at all times. All calls made into and out of the system are recorded, archived, and easily accessible for 23 years, thereby mitigating risk.
HIPAA compliance is of the utmost importance for healthcare providers and patients alike. An automated medical answering service that is HIPAA-compliant like MedXCom helps to safeguard patients’ health information and ensure that PHI always remains confidential and secure. With MedXCom, healthcare providers can rest assured that their calls will be handled professionally and securely, allowing them to focus on providing the best possible care for their patients.
See Our FREE Short Demo Video and Price Your Plan!
What is MedXCom?
MedXCom is an affordable, dependable, feature-rich, HIPAA-compliant medical answering service that handles millions of calls per year from patients to their healthcare providers.
How does MedXCom protect patients’ PHI?
MedXCom uses a range of security measures, including encrypted servers, recordings, and archiving to protect patients’ PHI. MedXCom also offers HIPAA secure messaging to ensure that patients’ PHI is always protected.
How does MedXCom handle urgent calls?
MedXCom handles urgent calls by confirming the patient’s callback number and having patients state their names and reason for their calls. The provider is then contacted according to self-managed flexible call rules, which include phone calls, text notifications, and live operator (optional add-on).
Does MedXCom protect a provider’s personal Caller ID?
Yes, MedXCom protects a provider’s personal Caller ID as callbacks made through the system display the public practice phone number.
How long are calls recorded and archived by MedXCom?
Calls made into and out of the MedXCom system are recorded, archived, and easily accessible for 23 years.
What is a HIPAA-Compliant Answering Service?
A HIPAA-Compliant Medical Answering Service is a telephone answering service that handles calls from patients and securely communicates their health information with healthcare providers in accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Why is HIPAA compliance important for medical answering services?
HIPAA compliance is important for medical answering services because they handle sensitive patient health information (PHI), and HIPAA regulations ensure that this information is kept secure and confidential.
What is the purpose of HIPAA regulations?
The purpose of HIPAA regulations is to protect the privacy and security of patient health information and to ensure that this information is used and disclosed appropriately.
Who are covered entities under HIPAA regulations?
Covered entities under HIPAA regulations include healthcare providers, health plans, and healthcare clearinghouses.
What are the HIPAA Security Rules?
The HIPAA Security Rules outline the administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that must be in place to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of electronically protected health information (ePHI).